Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Living with cancer


I have a rare cancer described by doctors as “high risk.” As bad as that sounds, it’s not as bad as it sounds. Thanks to a targeted cancer drug called Gleevec (generic name is imatinib) my “high risk gastrointestinal stromal tumor”--or GIST--has a pretty good prognosis. A very expensive pill I take every day is designed to keep the cancer away.

Small indolent GISTs are considered benign. Not mine. Based on a number of criteria, including size of the tumor and mitotic rate (check your old biology text or follow the link), my GIST was cancer. Diagnosed almost two years ago, surgeons at the University of California Moores Cancer Center in San Diego removed the tumor along with part of my stomach in September of 2017. It’s taken me this long to report about my experiences living with cancer because it’s been difficult to write about. I keep asking myself, will what I have to say be meaningful to readers? With that in mind and the passage of time I believe I have enough experiences and insight to share my observations. I hope by telling this story it will contribute to better understanding the dreaded diagnosis of cancer.    

The first question I’m often asked is what led to my diagnosis. The short answer is Mexican food. I started having chest pains one evening after attending an afternoon charity fundraiser where they served some of the most delicious tacos I’d ever eaten. So, in the words of one my doctor’s notes, “After dosing with tacos (patient) experienced chest pains and went to the emergency department for evaluation.”

When you show up at the emergency room complaining of chest pains they don’t make you wait. I was rushed immediately to the treatment area and hooked up to an EKG. After four hours that included a chest x-ray, blood tests, a thorough examination and medical history, the ER doctor told me my heart is not the problem. “Follow up with your internist,” he added. So, over the course of the next two weeks I was referred to a gastroenterologist who ordered an abdominal ultrasound that revealed a “mass” growing somewhere in the neighborhood of my pancreas, liver, and stomach. Needing a clearer picture of what was growing inside me, the doctor ordered a CT scan of the area for a better look.

A few hours after my date with the scanner, the doctor called to tell me what the scan showed. The most encouraging words on the radiologist’s report were that it did not appear the mass was on or within the pancreas. But an actual diagnosis would require more tests, specifically a biopsy to find out what type of tumor was growing in my gut.

To be continued?

If you find this interesting and want to read more about my experiences with cancer please let me know. If you think this will be helpful to others, share it widely. Based on your responses I will decide whether or not to continue reporting my cancer chronicles. Topics I hope to cover include the psychological, physical, and financial demands on cancer patients and their families. Of course, my experiences are in many ways different from what others with cancer endure. This is one patient’s experience, nothing more.


-->

7 comments:

Doug Myrland said...

Irv: I want to encourage you to continue posting your cancer experiences. Your willingness to share your very personal story means those of us reading can get insight and find application to our own lives. I'm looking forward to reading more, and grateful that you're willing to share.

Anonymous said...

Τhanks for one's marvelous posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.I will be suure ttо bookmark your blog and ɗefiniteⅼy will come back
dоwn the road. I wnt to encourage continue your gdeat work,
have a nice evening!

Unknown said...

Dear Irv, thank you for you blog on “Living with cancer”. I will avidly follow your postings on your life journey, following this health situation. Your thoughtfulness and your innate kindness are sure to be a inspiration to all who follow your musings. As part of my readings on Tibetan Buddhism, one of the key tenets one meditates on is “Impermanance”, there you have it! Wether it’s cancer, peripheral neuropathy, dementia, Alzheimer’s or COPD, we are all inevitably confronted by the fact of our impermanence. As my Judy was fond of saying, when she could still formulate thoughts in a coherent manner, “Best possible outcome” was always what she wished for everyone’s particular situation. I know you will make the best out of this journey and I thank you again for sharing it with us. Peace and Love.

Frank Hafner said...

You words have helped me navigate a less serious C word keep it up
Frank

Jackie Barshak said...

Irv, as your eternal friend I was so moved by your dispassion in telling your story of what was a wrenching experience for you. It was ."just the facts, ma'am" - absent the drama. Your writing compels your truth without the whine, no sense of entitlement. Looking forward to the sequel. xxoo

Wannaknow said...

I’m new to blogs, but I would like to see more progress reports on the GIST. Whatever you can contribute to the layman’s knowledge of a cancer is helpful in demystifying it.

drgail said...

Hi Irv. Your unique combination of skills, awareness,insight, and the ability to communicate clearly and with compassion make your "Living with Cancer" blog valuable and much needed. Please continue.