Thursday, January 29, 2009

Health Care and the DMV

With all respect to the good people who work at departments of motor vehicles (DMV) around the country, the DMV, for many, is synonymous with inefficiency and a surly approach to customer service. As a teenager, I remember going to the DMV office in Jamaica, Queens, and waiting on long lines, only to be treated poorly, with little respect for my time or needs. The stereotype seemed to have a legitimate foundation. I’m happy to report that my more recent dealings with DMVs, both in California, and also last year back in Queens, have been much improved and quite efficient.


At lunch the other day, a good friend and somebody for whom I have great respect, mentioned that he believed nationalized health care along the lines of “single payer” would make going to the doctor a lot like dealing with the DMV. His comment was a response to my mention of the way insurance companies deal with health claims, and the high cost of health care administration that goes to insurance companies. The labyrinthine system seems designed to frustrate both patients and health care providers, at great cost to all concerned. Eliminating the red tape and unnecessary paper work associated with insurance claims ought to be high on the list of health care reforms that the Obama Administration tackles.


The added problems with the frustrating manner in which insurance companies deny benefits, refuse coverage, and make patients re-submit claims, that should have been paid in the first place, drives doctors into early retirement and inflicts emotional pain on patients. It often takes lawsuits or government intervention to put a stop to these abuses. This, is a waste of time, money, and inflicts a cost on families when they are most vulnerable.


So back at lunch with my friend, the other day, I had a moment of clarity when he compared the specter of nationalized health coverage to dealing with the DMV. My response was simple. The insurance companies have become the DMV.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I don't find my DMV experiences all that stressful - I just smile and try to be polite. Oh, and I bring a book!
However, I don't think that will work on the insurance companies!